Barley is a versatile, healthy and inexpensive whole grain, rich in fibre. So for those leftover festive meals this Xmas why not try this pearl barley broth. Or a variation of your own.
Pearl Barley Broth with Carrot and Leek
- 15ml/1tbsp vegetable oil
- 450g/1lb carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 1.2lt/2 pt chicken stock
- 75g/3oz pearl barley
- 175g/6oz cooked chicken, broken into small-sized chunks
- 175g/6oz cooked potatoes, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the carrots and leeks, then saute over a medium heat for 4 mins. Add the stock, pearl barley, chicken and potatoes and season well.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20-25 mins or until the pearl barley and carrots are tender.
- Stir in the cooked vegetables, return to the boil and simmer for 1 min.
- Stir in the parsley and season to taste. Serve up.
Delicious to have in front of the fire on a cold winter day!
Let us know if you give this festive recipe for pearl barley broth a go. If you need to stock up on Pearl Barley then visit our online shop to place an order.